Tuesday, December 23, 2008

November's Nutshell


Simply put, November was a nutshell month. Do you ever feel like you're living in one of those? I guess I'm thinking along the lines of a walnut or pecan. They're quite hard on the outside and seem well put together. On the inside, though, sometimes things just aren't that way. The actual nut may or may not be all there, formed correctly, etc. But, you'd never know the whole story just by looking at it!

And, so, that was exactly my case, and this is why it's December 23 and I'm just putting the fingers to the keys. The last two months I've been forced to take another look at our pace and my reactions to those steps that don't quite line up with the pace. The beginning of November found me having 2 EKG's and a stress test at the cardiologist's office. From all outside symptoms just after being on the elliptical machine for about 4 minutes, I appeared to be in the beginning stages of a heart attack. As the minutes progressed, so did the intense chest pains, arm tingling, crazy headache, etc. Long story short. . .all tests turned out great, and everybody was left scratching their heads. After making some adjustments, a particular hormone tablet seems to have been the culprit. But, I'm actually thankful for the experience. It woke me up, cracked my shell, and made me realize that I really needed to do some internal adjustments. Thus, the delay in the blogging. . .I've been trying to only do the absolute essentials and work my way back to the fun stuff.

With all of that said, we head into the December news. . . Thanks for the "checking-in" e-mails and notes of concern. Let's all get reconnected to ourselves, our families, and each other this new year. . . I'm putting that down as an "essential!"

2 comments:

Becky said...

Beautiful family picture and I am glad you are OK.

Marianne said...

Melissa, you all look so great in the picture! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Two years ago I had the same symptoms you are describing and they thought I was having a heart attack as well. It turned out to be anxiety and I spent the next six months trying to put my life back in order. I know what you are describing and can certainly sympathize! Take care of yourself and kiss those babies for me!