
Good morning! We woke up anxiously anticipating the results of last night's storm. I'm praying for our good friends in Texas, a great state that brought so many wonderful memories for our little family. We love y'all and will continue to keep you in our prayers! Please stay in touch as you can. . .
Although we are far from the hurricane, we are not far from its effects. Yesterday, I gassed up my car at about 9:30 a.m., wishing I'd done it just the day before when gas was $3.48 per gallon; I got it at $3.89. By 1 p.m., I started hearing reports of gas stations running out of fuel and prices soaring well over $4 per gallon. Then, when I went back into town to get Thayer from school, I started passing my worst fears: long lines at stations that usually have 10 pumps going at once and only two were left (at best) with gasoline in their tanks. Thankfully, Rob and I had filled up earlier, so we are prepared. This is a moment for all of us here in the South and Southeast to wait for the sunrise of better days to appear while we put our preparations to the test that our dear prophets have asked us to do over and over again. Hopefully, the gasoline trucks will be able to return soon. But, considering the alternatives of what could happen without gasoline to power transporation, we are looking at all of our options in terms of food, activities, etc. When you only have one tank of fuel, you really take a real look at what your plans are.
I must say that I am so thankful to know that there is a living prophet today and it is worth it to heed his call. In times like these, I have a keen understanding of why it is so important to share this knowledge with others, as our lives (spiritually and temporally) depend upon that foundation. Thank you to my good parents who have had the courage to stand up for their beliefs and stay strong in their faith. Without them, I am not sure that I would have these blessings right now.
So, it's off to an interesting weekend. We are supposed to have stake conference, but we will see how many people are able to make it. Carpools are a great thing!
Although we are far from the hurricane, we are not far from its effects. Yesterday, I gassed up my car at about 9:30 a.m., wishing I'd done it just the day before when gas was $3.48 per gallon; I got it at $3.89. By 1 p.m., I started hearing reports of gas stations running out of fuel and prices soaring well over $4 per gallon. Then, when I went back into town to get Thayer from school, I started passing my worst fears: long lines at stations that usually have 10 pumps going at once and only two were left (at best) with gasoline in their tanks. Thankfully, Rob and I had filled up earlier, so we are prepared. This is a moment for all of us here in the South and Southeast to wait for the sunrise of better days to appear while we put our preparations to the test that our dear prophets have asked us to do over and over again. Hopefully, the gasoline trucks will be able to return soon. But, considering the alternatives of what could happen without gasoline to power transporation, we are looking at all of our options in terms of food, activities, etc. When you only have one tank of fuel, you really take a real look at what your plans are.
I must say that I am so thankful to know that there is a living prophet today and it is worth it to heed his call. In times like these, I have a keen understanding of why it is so important to share this knowledge with others, as our lives (spiritually and temporally) depend upon that foundation. Thank you to my good parents who have had the courage to stand up for their beliefs and stay strong in their faith. Without them, I am not sure that I would have these blessings right now.
So, it's off to an interesting weekend. We are supposed to have stake conference, but we will see how many people are able to make it. Carpools are a great thing!

2 comments:
We are glad you are alright Melissa! Enough with the monster hurricanes already! You had gas for $3.48?! What a dream! Ours dropped to $3.74 this week and we thought that was wonderful! Sigh.
Tell the family hello from all of us here in Cougarland! Go BYU! What a game yesterday!
Love You!
What an AWESOME game!! Well, actually, I didn't get to see it but we had Papa calling us letting us know right away what was happening!! Rise and shout. . .
Well, our $3.48 days are over for the moment. We're mostly well into the $4+ range. And, there's a station downtown that was at $5.20 or $5.77 last night. They DEFINITELY need to be reported, so that is what I am going to be doing later, if I can get the time.
Please give everyone hugs from all of us!! We miss you and hope to see you again REALLY soon!!!!
Post a Comment