Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Few Thoughts on Feeback

My friend Margaret Woolley Busse has a fantastic, thought-evoking (not just provoking!) blog. Recently, she detailed an experience in true community dialogue that she had, following up her original post with some thoughts on the concept of "feedback." I really enjoyed reading her comments as well as the comments of others who posted on her site. I, too, added a few words, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to re-post some of those here in light of our recent conversations. Some food for thought. . .

"Interesting thoughts on feedback! I just can't help but consider the implications of feedback in light of our current national election, especially after yesterday's news concerning the Palin pick. Platforms and VP selections are a direct reflection of feedback from either side of the aisle and even those of us who often find ourselves in the middle of the aisle.
The single-sided conversation created when we do not respond does, indeed, create a vacuum that shifts dialogue into an autocratic monologue that then ends up trumping democracy. This is dangerous and leads to desparation, which then seems to lead people to blindly accepting anything that "feels good," superficial quick-fixes that really don't "fix" anything in the end. Example: In an economy that is taking a predictable, cyclical slope downward, a candidate can easily throw out loosely the term "change" and the desperate fish in the sea of voters take the bait and blindly ride the hook to the surface where they end up ironically meeting their end and being used for the purposes of another hungry being.
It's so easy to fall into this trap and then complain when things don't turn out. Yet, it was our responsibility all along to put our appetites on hold, survey what's in front of us, and make a conscious decision to take the bait or not. "

I look forward to what Margaret has to say next. . . And, Rob thinks I should create a new blog for all of my political / community issue thoughts. If I get time, I just might try it! Stay tuned. . .

No comments: