
Preface: The following conjured up many impressions, and, in writing this, I did have to exercise restraint, although, from the length of it, you may not agree!
There once was a well, and it ran dry. Sound familiar? But, good news! Last night it got refilled with better, fresher water from the Ultimate Well: the feet of the Savior's servants here with us today.
I just wanted to post a bit and say how grateful I am to be a member of the Relief Society, the Lord's organization for His daughters. It truly continues to be my "well," in so many senses, and I know that it truly is a part of a great Divine plan for each of us. Members of Relief Society now number over 5 and a half million, with representation in 170 countries. We refer to each other as "sisters," because we know that we truly are from familial roots older than time. There is so much strength in that fact! I felt that last night in our annual broadcasted meeting, and I had so many opportunities to reflect back on the service rendered to me by women who have truly showed me how to be a sister. To each of those women, thank you so much for being the kind of woman you were designed to be!
From the start, Sister Julie Beck declared, "It is time for Relief Society to fulfill its purpose." Further, she noted that "we have an official commission to participate in His work." I felt an urgency to stand up and be counted in a work that has been designed to "organize, teach, and inspire His daughters to prepare them for the blessings of eternal life." So, here's a question: How has Relief Society "organized" you? I really loved that term used by Sister Beck, and I know that I need to allow Relief Society to do more of that for me.
I know that we were speaking last night in terms mainly of the Church. However, our Relief Society heritage is so full of bold women, including those who fought for our voting rights. A dear friend commented in regards to my previous post and raised the idea about us being saved "for such a time as this." I'm with you on that, Elise. When Sister Beck said that now is the time "for Relief Society to fulfill its purpose," I couldn't help but consider our responsibilities to stand up for our beliefs. So many of the speakers touched on being compassionate and serving others. I really believe that, as we do this, we are allowing ourselves to enter into the Grand Conversation and thereby gain opportunities to be heard with respect. For example, I have a neighbor of mine that I consider a good friend. She and I share many common beliefs, but we also differ on many, too. However, we can have conversations about issues in a peaceful, respectful manner in which we voice our views. I have found that, through our conversations about differences, we have come to better, clearer solutions that are effective and better for a small, common good: our families and other neighbors. Taking this principle to a broader level, I know that, if we get out, roll up our sleeves, and even step out of some of our comfortable corners, we can find opportunities to reach these same types of concensuses. I know our world needs this, now more than ever. This is not to say that hairs won't be raised, but, if we could all enlist this idea of acting out of compassion and service for others beyond passion for selves, so much more would get done! So, on a personal level, I'm considering starting with something small -- writing some editorial letters to the local paper about a few issues. Think if we all just opened our mouths more, letting prayer and the Spirit guide us more in our daily lives.
Well, there was just so much goodness in that meeting, as I'm sure many of you already know. Did anyone else just love Elder Uchtdorf's message about how to have more peace, joy, and, in fact, the happiness of God in our lives? I was so moved by the fact that he urged us to create (and he wasn't necessarily talking about more little ones!) and be compassionate. I loved the way he instilled confidence and trust: "You are daughters of the most creative person in the universe!"
If you missed the General Relief Society Meeting or want to learn more about it, please click here. I'd love to hear your impressions of the meeting.
And, one last thing concerning Relief Society: Does anyone have a blog somehow associated with your unit's Relief Society -- a discussion area for topics pertinent to your sisters? I have heard of some wards that do. If you do, how are you making that work? My need to be "creative" is overwhelming me, and I've got an idea for the sisters in my area to draw them closer through an ongoing dialogue. I'm looking for some ideas that have worked for you.

5 comments:
I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's talk! I totally related to what he said. I often critisize my cooking just like his wife does. I loved learning that creating things is inherent in women and to keep doing it even if it's just creating a smile from someone else.
I also loved Pres. Brigham Young's quote about making everything around you beautiful and then that beauty will rub off on you.
That is so awesome! I'm not sure if either of you realize this, but, from my perspective, you both mention things that you are already so good at doing! I hope you feel validated by those things that really touched your hearts, including creating smiles and making things beautiful.
I felt Sister Beck's talk was powerful and she was summoning a Royal Army. As sisters we are a strong force for good and I don't think we have united or "organized" ourselves into what we can truly accomplish in this world.
President Kimball stated "To be a righteous woman during the winding-up scenes on this earth, before the Second Coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman's strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times. She has been placed to help to enrich, to protect, and to guard the home - which is society's basic and most noble institution. Other institutions in society may falter and even fail, but the righteous woman can help to save the home, which may be the last and only sanctuary some mortals know in the midst of storm and strife."
This is one of my favorite quotes and has even deeper meaning as many institutions around us are failing. I believe we can protect and guard not only our home but the homes of many by letting our voices heard for morality and goodness and virtue. WE are the keepers of the homes, the building blocks of our country, and it is up to us to protect them through our actions. It is time for righteous women to unite and to DO good in this world. We are at a critical time and I was grateful for Sister Beck's comments and call. As a counselor it breaks my heart to see so many of the sisters will low self-esteem, depression, and other trials that keep them from realizing their great potential.
As we continue to discuss this financial crisis, here is an excellent You Tube that enlightens - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU6fuFrdCJY
Finally, Alexander Tytler said: ". .. the world's greatest civilizations. . have progressed through this sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith; from spiritual faith to great courage; from courage to liberty; from liberty to abundance: from abundance to selfishness; from selfishness to complacency; from complacency to apathy; from apathy to dependency; from dependency back again to bondage."
Where are we and at what point will we stop the cycle?
The past couple days I have felt uplifted and ready to get to work. Loved the broadcast! I've always loved being part of Relief Society. One of the greatest blessings this organization has offered me is being able to learn through the service of others. As I am served by sisters and see how they reach out to bless people's lives, I feel the light of Christ being spread out among His children and I learn how to better serve others myself.
How has Relief Society "organized" me? That's an interesting and insightful question. I'm going to be giving that one some thought.
Thanks for this thought-provoking post Melissa!
Post a Comment