I realize that people have lives and jobs and more things to do than be glued to CNBC or CNN or some other network that brings us the ins and outs of the day. However, I am now wondering, at such a crucial time in our lives on so many fronts, have people in general just lost all hope and quit caring about what is going on around them?
These questions rise from my early start this morning, beginning with my kickboxing class at the Y. After class, several people were just standing around talking about this and that, and I somehow worked in a comment about the economic crisis we are facing and the important day of decisions that this Friday is. I had more than one person look at me and ask the question, "Well, what exactly is going on?" Quickly, I tried to throw out a basic answer. But, when gas stations are completely empty and the produce aisles at the grocery store are thinning out with little left on the shelves, wouldn't you question your surroundings and what brought them to this point? Then, as I was discussing a transaction at the bank with the teller, I mentioned something about waiting to see what today would bring. Again, the question: "What's happening today?" This was a teller at a bank! The shock and awe just left me paralyzed. But, those were just two people, and I surely believe that there are more citizens around me, especially women, who have their heads a little bit higher above the sand than these women do.
To add to all of this, the House Republicans have not participated in today's discussions thus far. (Hopefully, this will have changed by the time you get around to reading this!) To me, this puts them right in the boat with the rest of the people that are choosing to be ignorant about current issues that are so important and strike at the heart of our basic, fundamental systems. On more than one topic, the Republicans have escorted themselves to the door and chosen to give up their opportunities to serve. Now, are they just going to hand the election to Obama? I thought that the spirit of America was a little stronger than that!
I feel it imperative, as a mother AND a woman with the right to voice and vote, that this is the absolute time to take a stand and vote and share a sense of hope with our neighbors. Remember, we chose a plan long before the here and now that was predicated on the right to choose and participate. Are we living up to that choice to follow? Has America lost its spirit? As an LDS woman, what do you feel are your responsibilities at this moment in time?
10 years ago

7 comments:
We care. Cam & Jueneta
We care too! It is frustrating to think people just don't care enough to pay attention at all. We have a great country, even with all our problems. If we want it to stay great, we have to educate ourselves as much as possible and participate in the system.
We care alright! We bank with Wasington Mutual and got an email yesterday saying "Welcome to JP Morgan-Chase"! WAMU failed and got bought out! Rachel wanted
to run down and take all of her savings out. I assured her it was just the stock holders that needed to worry but in the back of my mind I am asking myself, "do I need to worry?". On KSL news last night there was an older gentleman at a WAMU branch in Salt Lake who was obviously old enough to have lived through the Great Depression. He was livid and said he was pullling all of his money out and keeping it at home! Wow, what is happening? I am with you Melissa!
Melissa I just deleted my following on your blog because it shows up on my non private blog and thought that you might not appreciate that. I don't know how the settings work yet for the blog following. I will look into it some more. I have you on my blog roll so it updates me just the same.
I have become a news junkie and am amazed at the multitude of issues threatening our way of life simultaneously. It has been in the making for a while but everyone, inlcuding our leaders, have put their heads in the sand so our prosperous way of life, or so percieved prosperity, would continue. I have really been questioning who is on the hill, what are they doing with all their time, and whose interests are they really representing?
Melissa you love dialogues, one question that has been on my mind is how We the People can be part of the solution? Talk Radio always answers "exercise your right to vote". I have voted with every election but feel that is not enough anymore. I really do not feel my voice and my concerns are being heard nor addressed. I have written on different occasions to my congress men and keep up with the issues. In my heart I have been feeling that there is more that needs to be done. For example read how if Prop 8 fails in California it could affect our religious liberties everywhere- http://www.ldsmag.com/familyleadernetwork/080908fails.html. The author shares ideas on what we can do with this situation.
As a woman who is concerned about the welfare and moral environemnt for my children, I think it is time that I do more. But exactly what can I do to make a differnce? If we want our glorious country to stay free and good, it will take We the People. What are your thoughts on what we can do to be part of the solution? Perhaps now more than ever we need wonderful examples of strong, good women like the Anthony's and Stanton's. Perhaps We have been chosen for such a time as this?!?!
Thank you all for your wonderful comments! I really appreciate you taking the time to write even the smallest of posts.
Elise, I, too, having been thinking about what MORE can I do. I am appreciative of my right to vote, and, especially as a mother of a daughter now, I want to show her that a woman has a unique voice that resonates in a powerful tone that initiates creative, meaningful change.
So, my first thoughts on how to do this really come from last night's broadcast. The message to "do more" was definitely present, and, to me, that message spoke to service. I think that being involved in our broad community (not just LDS community) is important; we enter the discussion and, as a part of that discussion, we then have a hopefully respected right to speak. Then, in that same vein, we have to make some sacrifices. Along those lines, I know that the time is ripe for women to be a more active, elected part of the process. It's time that we make find our presence on various boards and in various public offices. You know, actually, I may leave this post at this for the moment and I'm going to turn to writing a broader post on the front page of the blog.
Hopefully this will get the juices flowing. . . so, I'll be back with more. . .Please continue to write and ask questions in the mean time. . Thanks for initiating more discussion!
Melissa, thank you for your rant. It really is amazing how the state of the economy affects everyone directly (even more than political banter) and yet people still remain ignorant/apathetic about how solutions are going to be reached.
Post a Comment