Last night, I watched the Vice Presidential debate, and I saw a well-prepped, confident woman, Gov. Palin, who had learned well from her week of gathering all the information. She connected in style to her viewers. She did touch on the problem of taxing small businesses, and she definitely covered energy. Watching her, I reminisced about the roots of our country: leaders not bred to be king but everyday people willing to speak their mind and rally behind their core beliefs. Actually, on that stage last night, I saw Washington Establishment v. Organic America. But, in the end, Gov. Palin did not articulate substance, choosing to stick to answering the questions she knew the most about and glossing over the familiar but unconquered territory of themes she knew only political-type answers to. After an hour or so into the thing, I just couldn't bare to hear "maverick" anymore. With that said, she did "win," in her own right; she definitely exceeded expectations and held to her game. But, did she score more points for her team? Did the "Joe Six-packs" and the "Hockey Moms" really see a leader in the present -- not a possibility in the future? I find myself, 14 hours later, asking the same questions of myself, and I think I am coming up short on a confident "yes." I continue to find myself feeling echoes of that night at Friar Tuck's, mired in the football conversation sixteen years ago. And, in the midst of those echoes of the past, I am feeling the heat of anger and chill of disgust rise inside of me -- NOT aimed at Gov. Palin -- but targeted at John McCain. I will be voting for the McCain-Palin ticket. I can not vote for Obama-Biden. Their stance with unions and their economic plan, despite their "allegiances" to job growth and prosperity, is a formula for vast corporate flight from America. With that said, my disdain for Sen. McCain stems from the fact that he has basically squandered the opportunity for women in leadership; he chose a personable, smart woman without enough experience. To me, he is continuing to do what so many men in the Republican party have done and continue to do: see women for their visual package and not utilize them for what they can actually deliver. Sure, Gov. Palin offers a change from the norm, and I applaud that. But, why choose her now? What not keep her in reserve, allowing her more time to study and experience life in a lesser governing role?
I can't help but think about the "what if" factor and Mitt Romney. At first, I did have my reservations about him, too; however, now, in light of this massive economic meltdown -- with plenty of politicians right in the heart of it -- I just wish that he could be given the chance to lead us to a better, brighter day. He's successful at running multi-million dollar corporations; he's successfully run a state; he could put us back where we need to be. But, obviously, we, the American People as a whole, are not ready to take accountability for our actions and do something for ourselves. We just can't seem to get past our fears, our bigotries, and take a chance. And, at this moment, you may be asking: "Well, are you ready to take a chance? What about Gov. Palin?" My answer: I'll step out on that limb, but it would have been nice to have a better choice in limbs to lead up front.
Finally, the brighter days may still be in store; hope is not lost. Warren Buffet is willing to invest in our economy still, if the government will allow him, although some aspect of that is starting to sound like "King Warren" running to save the day. But, at least there are some signs of confidence still out there. Nothing is won or lost at this moment; an opportunity has been created for us to redefine our values, priorities, and abilities to step up to task. Maybe it will all turn out in the end like the effects of my football conversation: a rocky road to a secure, happily-ever-after.
Any thoughts about last night's debate you'd like to share?


4 comments:
That was a fabulous post. I missed the debate last night with all we had going on but I hope to read about it today. I think you put my feelings into words, so thank you for being so articulate about the state of the union, or rather the state of the presidential race. Too bad we're not trying to choose between two really great options...I'd rather have that challenge than choosing between two mediocre or less-than-mediocre options.
P.S. Love the Friar Tuck story! Wish I'd been there for that date!
Thanks so much, Em! I agree about the choice in opinions. If you get a chance, check out my friend Margaret's blog. She has recently written two really great posts about political parties and accountability in general.
Melissa, I thought this was very well articulated and you have an excellent point. I really enjoy reading your blog posts
I am not hoping for "experience" as much as I am hoping for integrity and some honesty. At the point that the world is sitting at right now, I think those along with a smart mind will take us further than having the experience. We are down to the wire, and need some DECENCY and GOODNESS. That is my humble and hopeful take on it. Nieve? Yep, ...but hopeful? You bettcha.
Post a Comment