I am SO TIRED of fighting Sunday battles, and I need some help!! Does anyone have any ideas for things to do during sacrament meeting for a 6-year-old boy and a 19-month old girl? I have tried quiet books, coloring activities, books, and some other things, and they are just NOT working.
Thayer loathes going to church. He finds it boring and so hard to sit for an hour (which often I can't blame him on but I'm not sure if I should be admitting that too much) during sacrament meetin. I just don't want him to feel this way.
I am so open to suggestions, so PLEASE send them ASAP! I want to get a jump on this for next week!!!
10 years ago

10 comments:
We have found that a little bribery goes a long way with Noah. I will email you and fill you in. And if you aren't above bribery, then it works like a charm every time!
I hear ya sister! We too go for the bribery. Everyone starts the day with 4 scoops of ice cream and as they misbehave their scoops disappear. In the evening, after dinner we all gather around the table (& get to use Bryan's special ice cream bowls) and enjoy our scoops. It's been a great motivating factor when only one person keeps all their scoops and the rest have to sit there with empty bowls and watch the devouring of the ice cream.
Thus far it's been working, of course we "borrowed" this idea from another family. Good luck and be sure to post what you end up doing. I'm always looking for new ideas too! ;-)
Oh! love the ice cream idea....I will have to keep checking back for ideas. Mine do ok, but they too find sacrament "boring" of course it doesn't help that every other week my son attend a church where they have video games, playgrounds, and "fun" stuff. As my daughter told me the other day, I don't want to go to your church...it's boring. All you do is learn about God! (This was said with eyes rolling) Too Funny!
Thank you all so much for the ideas so far! I think I'm going to try that ice cream idea. So, I'm seeing big laminated ice cream cones with removable scoops that can be added or removed. Awesome!!
I saw on someone's blog something about CBR ("caught being reverent"). Does anybody know anything about this? Apparently it's something the primary does and gives awards to the children who are CBR'd. I tried to get more info, but I never got a response. Fill me in, if you know something about that.
Bribery works like a charm for us. We don't bring anything to church at all. We expect them to listen to the speaker. If they are well behaved they receive a generous bowl of ice-cream. I see that is the same thing that Aimee wrote. I think it is important to set the expectation before going to church and then give constant thumbs up during sacrament for good behavior. Good luck.
But, do you do that for 18 month olds? At what age do you stop toys?
I too love the ice cream idea. We may have to try that. We still bring quiet toys like Color Wonder paper and markers, magnetic sudoku games and coloring books. Our 11- and 8-year-old girls do well. It's our 3-year-old and 1-year-old we struggle with. Truth be known my husband and I take turns taking the baby home after the Sacrament is passed for her nap. Our Sacrament meeting is last so the kids find it even harder to sit still!
This is still a challenge for us. Our seven year old hates Sacrament Meeting and nothing seems to motivate her to sit reverently. Our six year old on the other hand is an angel--she sits quietly whether she's got an activity in her hands or not.
From the time Brita was about two, we took her out every single week until she was about six. Now the battle is low-key enough that we can at least remain in our seats most Sundays.
Sometimes it just takes some maturity on their part and patience with their personalities on our part. I keep telling myself to just be consistent, be realistic in my expectations, and know that when she's fourteen I probably won't have to take her out anymore.
Melissa, I am sure you already know about this website, sugardoodle.net, they have great primary ideas, that might just help you with ideas on reverence.
I have not heard of that site! In fact, I am not too knowledgeable on most of those sites. I am in Primary for the second time right now; my first stint lasted about 2 months in San Antonio and then we moved to Tuscon where I got back to YW's again. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!
Post a Comment