Saturday, August 30, 2008

Help me out with this one, please!

Okay, my democratic fires are lit, and I've got to start a dialogue with someone about what in the world is happening on our national stage. We've definitely stepped outside of the beltway and entered exciting times (although, I've always quite enjoyed the Washington gab)! However, I am not so sure I like my choices of which carpool to get on board with to get back to the Capitol or Pennsylvania Ave.

I've got so much running around in my head about this whole new McCain VP pick that I think I need another night to wrestle with my dreams and nightmares before I make too many comments. (Rob thinks I've been snoring due to a cold; I think that it's actually reactions to the polical climate -- until now. Last night was the first night I hadn't snored in a few days, he said). So, I'm looking for your reactions and opinions. I mean, a relatively new mom with an infant as Vice President of the United States? Does Supermom exist? Are we REALLY ready to ask her to?

Come on, don't be afraid. . .let's see some evidence of democratic thinking(not speaking of the party, necessarily -- just the type of government -- but we still love you regardless of your aisle orientation!).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa, This is Dee. I really enjoyed ready your query that Marianne shared with me earlier today. I too have been very concerned over the choices we have this fall. I am the type of voter who votes for the best person. Unfortunately this year I am not sure we really have a best person. Marianne's relatives in Arizona do not like John McCain as they see him as far too liberal, and they don't trust Obama and the Democratic Party.

Now since I deal with this issue due to my classes at Lone Peak High School where I teach AP US Government and Politics I can tell you that I have read and dissected Barack Obama's acceptance speech from last Thursday night. I can tell you that I am scared to death at our nation's possibilities. If you get a chance read his speech, the full text. There are some veiled words that are very "socialist", perhaps even communistic. Phrases and words that I have read in socialist and communist articles. Since I teach
an AP class in Government and Politics I have the students read a lot about the differences in political thought and ideology between the various political dogmas.

Many of Obama's words are straight from some of the socialist beliefs. Phrases like "individual accountability and group responsibility to help everyone fulfill the promise of America". I know we need to help each person however not to the point where we create social programs that forces everyone to turn out our pockets. I don't mind working hard for my family but when I have to have more of my paycheck go to help some person who wants the money because he feels he is entitled as a citizen then I have a problem.

As for McCain I think he most closely represents what I hold to be important. As for his running mate I am very excited about her. From what little I have read is that she is tough minded and stands for many of the same things regarding families that the Church stands for. I understand that she is a reformer and will stand up to the "Washington DC culture" as aggressively as she did to the "good old boys" in Alaskan politics. I can see Joe Biden just shaking in his proverbial boots as he is very likely in a lose-lose situation when it comes to debating her.

When all is said and done I will most likely vote for McCain. However, not because of him but because of his choice of VP. In our day and age it is too bad that most of our popular politicians are from the pop culture and follow what the public wants to the letter. We have very few leaders and even less statesmen. Obama with his speeches would sound like a statesman but then you read his speeches and it is clear to see that he says what he believes the people what to hear. Well I have taken a huge chunk of your time and blog. Tell Rob and the kids hello from Uncle Dee a full-time "political junkie". Sure love you guys.

Melissa and Company said...

I don't think I'd count Biden out in the debate. In fact, I'm nervous for Palin to match up with him. Like his politics or not, Joe Biden can definitely hold his own and make others "shake in their boots" in a heartbeat as he backs up what he believes with pretty factual numbers and scenarios. So, the VP debates should be interesting!

I am glad that we've got candidates this year that aren't so immersed in moral dilemnas and past bad media stuff. I mean, we can REALLY debate issues, IF voters are willing to. And, I think that is where a HUGE issue lies. Very few seem to want to actually take accountability for their actions and decisions. I mean, let's consider this whole credit "crisis." Up front, I will admit that there definitely are people who have fallen on hard times due to jobs shifting overseas, etc. However, there are so many people who live beyond their means and who have gotten themselves into their own poor situations, trying to get what they think everyone else has so they've bought too much of a house payment. Yes, we've been forced to consider homebuying in those overinflated markets where the bottom has fallen out. Thankfully, we said "no" to home ownership there. But, what if more people just held their ground and said "no" to high-interest credit card spending or automobile buying? What picture of the economy would we have then?

Oh, man! The baby is awake! There is so much more to say. . . Maybe someone else will jump in. .. .Thanks, Dee, for your thoughts!!

Elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Melissa my comment about Biden's debate with Palin being a lose-lose situation and he shaking in his boots was from a male v female perspective. In high school young ladies are now allowed to wrestle. I do not know of a single young man that would wrestle a young lady when it comes down to it. If the boy wrestles the girl and gets beat he is humiliated, and it he forfeits he loses, still yet if he wrestles her and wins then he didn't really get challenged.

I remember watching the Democratic Debates early on with Obama-Clinton-Biden and company. On one particular it appeared to the press and the people in the auditorium that the "boys" were picking on Hilary and there was a lot of sympathy generated for her. There was also a lot of the Conservative that used this a sign that she would be weak when dealing with the leaders of Russia-Iran-Pakistan etc. In fact someone made the statement in an editorial that when things got too tough for Hilary when dealing with these leaders she could just cry and they might soften a little. My impression, like Elise's is that Palin is one tough, committed lady. She has to be to handle her family situation complete with a special needs child, a state with well established good old boys political system and so on. I agree that the debates-both the Presidential and VP ones should be interesting.

Well take care and have a good evening. It is raining here for a change. I hope we get a lot of good rain especially in the mountains. Are you guys feeling the effects of the two most recent hurricanes?

The South Family said...

Interesting dialogue, I do concure with most, however this new VP Palin has given me some hope for the McCain campaign.I have felt a bit concern with this election and the running mates. The determining factor on this, for me, will probably have to wait until the debates for clarity. I would hope that as a "supermom" she will have to have a huge support system that will allow her to find a balance that will supply her with the armor she will need to be the next VP.

As for the credit "crisis",I do believe we can be our own worst enemy with trying to live up to others' expectations etc... However, there is a lot to factor in with making judgements on why, how,who,and when the credit "crisis" occurred in one's life. Overall just saying NO and or living more simply will help, no doubt!

Thanks for the invite Melissa and will chat with you later! Have a great week!

Jueneta said...

Melissa, I don't have a lot of time to tell you all that I feel, but your friend Dee pinned it perfectly that Obama is all for socialism. I heard his speech about preschool and it is scary. He wants to have universal preschool and even suggested programs for "babies" 0-3 years. He feels that children need to get a headstart . . . it sounds more like a guiltfree daycare. I hope I don't offend but children must be children and no one should take that precious time away from their mothers. The highest test scores come from Sweden and they don't send their kids to school until they are 7.
Well I got to stop now but McCain's choice is a great move for the party. Lastly, I think she is awesome for having five kids.

Brooke said...

My thoughts? I just hope she wasn't chosen for her demographics to counter the opponent (choosing a woman to woo the former Hillary supporters; the "no-experience-means-fresh-perspective" strategy that the Democrats are pushing for Obama) and that she really is a sharp, smart, good candidate. If that's the case I think she'll be a very good complement to McCain and hopefully that will translate into good leadership. We'll just have to see. I agree with what you said about this being an opportunity to really debate the issues and I think that is where we'll really see what Palin is like.

I like you're commentary. It's always great to share thoughts on something so important to our everyday lives.