Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I've missed you!

Well, my efforts to get back to the blogging world have gone to the wayside again. However, it has not all been for naught. The following is a letter that, I'm told, will be published tomorrow in our local hometown paper, The STAR. This (and the next post I'm about to do, if all goes well!) should shed some light on what I've been up to over the past week or so.

Dear Editor,

I am a product of Aiken County schools. My educational experience here was adequate; however, upon entering a large university over 2,000 miles away from home, I quickly realized that I lacked the exposure to many opportunities that were freely available to my peers from across the country. I did not let this hinder me; I let it motivate me to gain more education and try to provide something better for my children. A few years ago, I returned as a concerned parent, having faith in our public school system and thinking I was seeing a difference. However, I now realize that I didn’t look closely enough; I had no idea that our state was still in deadlock and had tightened its hindering grasp on our local district. I had waited far too long to be an informed, active participant in our conversations on education.

The causes of our current educational crisis are numerous and appear to run much deeper than many realized; however, we are where we are, so action is necessary. Our board in Aiken County has proposed a multi-fold solution, including increases in classroom sizes and decreases in teaching staff and administration, much of which is based on retirement and TERI issues. Those involved in the TERI program are in absolutely no way participating in drawing retirement funds from South Carolina while also receiving a paycheck. They are, in fact, contractually bound to put those funds in a non-interest bearing account; upon leaving the school system, they will be granted use of those funds. The people involved in the much-talked about, alleged “double dipping” include those who have retired from another state’s system, including neighboring states like Georgia, and who are now here working under contract receiving a salary in our state. Ironically, this includes our current superintendent Dr. Beth Everitt. So, at a moment when we have to look at cutting more jobs in an economy full of jobless people, why have we pigeon-holed ourselves into situations where we have to displace those from our own community who have put in countless years on the very same grounds that are merited by other teachers who have come from elsewhere only to be protected by contractual language?

The proposed classroom size increase is absolutely unacceptable! Aiken County has worked many years to reduce this, and we are seeing great benefits from that change. How can a first grade teacher, without an aid, effectively try to teach 18+ students to read? Why has the school district not used available technology, including fax or e-mail, to poll their staff on issues like salary renegotiations or furloughs – options that may help them keep their jobs and their smaller classroom sizes? If Dr. Everitt is so open to communication, as I have been assured she is, then why has she not exercised her communication options? Afterall, these same teachers and staff members pay part of her 6-digit salary as they pay their taxes and buy their groceries.

To lose our International Baccalaureate program is a tragedy to save $400,000! Finally, we have something that truly helps put our students over the top in a manner that is competitive with so many other students even right here in our state. We are willing to let that go? Why aren’t other counties, like Greenville, having to make drastic cuts like ours? What lessons about preparation and conservative spending can we learn from other districts?

How many citizens realize that we have several schools within our county operating at less than 200 students? Several of these are schools are located within just a few miles of others that are capable of absorbing them. Yes, that is a hard issue to even consider; however, we are at a moment in time when hard things need to be considered and acted upon for the good of the entire county’s students’ futures. Perhaps there are still opportunities to be found for funds that are available.

How many realize that the property taxes that they are currently paying on their owner-occupied residences are NOT going towards funding schools, as they once were? We are now tied directly to sales tax, to a large extent, at a time when people are NOT buying. Our funding sources are slim, since the Board opted not to up the millage rates prior to the state legislature’s decision to not let the districts pull funds from taxed, owner-occupied residences. Many counties saw this change coming, maxed out their abilities to tax, and made it so that their cap was left at a higher rate. Our county continued to “pride” themselves on low property taxes and dug themselves into a hole. Now, one of our primary funding sources is sales tax, a source that fluctuates with the economy. However, the district is only allowed to increase their taxation rate in relation to the rate of county growth. Last year, Aiken County only grew 4%. We’ve got to get more creative on our funding. No one wants higher taxes, so does anyone have any ideas?

I urge concerned citizens to please take a few minutes to read or call our local and state leaders. Raise your concerns; ask hard questions; consider what you can suggest to make things better – something I’m still trying to figure out. Moreover, I ask that local leaders strongly consider holding a town-hall type meeting to explain their reasoning behind their proposed solutions. I urge them to listen to the concerns and suggestions of all affected – from the cafeteria worker to the teacher to the student and the parent.

The times we find ourselves in are interesting; joining the conversation can be rewarding for all of us. If we don’t ask, we wont’ know. If we don’t’ discuss, we’ll never find the best solutions. If we all take a little time to invest in this present opportunity, our greater future will look much brighter.

Respectfully,
Melissa P. Loose

3 comments:

The Hayes Family said...

You Go Girl!! I wish I had your talent with words! I love reading what you write! Miss you tons!

Melissa and Company said...

You don't know HOW much I miss you!!! I wish you could come with me tonight to our meeting. I just really have felt compelled lately to implement BYU's motto: "Enter to Learn. Go forth to Serve."

Anonymous said...

Very well spoken. Anyone who reads that is sure to join your cause. I'm way out here in Utah and I'm ready to support Aiken County schools!