(1) Has Reverence left us?
(2) Has the thirst for entertainment overtaken the calming devotion to self dignity?
(3) Has the need to feel validated in moments of poor choices and great spending driven the greater population to lay aside their basic freedoms that many layed their lives down for?
The Inauguration's benediction left me more than appalled and less than impressed. To end such a monumental occasion with lines that included words like "may the yellow be mellow" and the "white choose right" was disrespectful to the event, validating to those who carry severely biased (to put it lightly) views, and blatantly irresponsible on the part of the Reverend who uttered them. Why take the opportunity to play the clown when well over 45 years of honest, devoted work to quell the stereotype have just been spent not only in hours but, moreover, in lives? The clapping amidst the many prayers was appalling; the perpetuation of the lack of reverence was beyond words of disbelief.
The events of yesterday were truly a solemn occasion, no matter which side of the aisle you sit. I watched them with my mother, a native of Alabama and a true eye-witness to the struggles that so many of us now only read about in history books. For her, a woman of only 58 years, this was a "full-circle" moment. She'd eaten at white-only lunch counters and drunk from the "sterile" water fountains, almost felt the sprays of the water cannons and smelled the fires burning, and now she was witnessing the moment's culmination where "we were not judged by the color of our skins." Indeed, to say the moment was stirring only slightly brushes the emotions there in that room. Yet, on the Mall the sentiment seemed to be different in many respects. For one, many people yelled out during prayers, sacred pleas to our God. They disrespectfully jeered an outgoing leader who had faced odds that were insurmountable. Speakers spoke with casual tones instead of dignified cantor. After all, I guess the "feel good" moments are back, especially after watching Woodstock II, Sunday's events televised live on HBO. (Sheryl Crow attempting reggae was the icing on that cake!) I mean, granted, I've always secretly wished I could have been there, but I guess my wish came true. Garth Brooks singing slave spirituals???
Well, it's almost 10 p.m., so the soap box has got to be retired! Question #3 (scroll back up to take a look again). I am still just astounded that there is this great movement to relinquish a basic, fundamental democratic right: secret ballot voting. Saying "yes" to card check is signing away freedom and opening the door to unchecked bullying and harassment on all sides. Castro took small steps and led a youthful revolution. Look where it got him and those who stayed around! Are we so desperate that we will give up our rights in the name of being made to feel validated and loved by all, as we were encouraged to do so many times during Sunday's events?
May God look to bless us and may we stand responsibly to receive those blessings.

2 comments:
Amen Melissa! I was driving Rachel to school during the "benediction". Upon hearing the closing lines we first stared at eachother with open mouths, then we shared our disgust. (Thank you! My teen aged daughter saw the irreverence!)Next, with the "Say AMEN!" closing I thought, "Where is the name of Christ?" It didn't belong in that prayer anyway. It was more of a performance than anything else.
I totally agree that there was no reverence. It is hard to watch prayers on TV but prayers like that are even worse.
Post a Comment